Licensing Department
Top Navigation 1
  Text Mode     Graphic Mode  
  Text Mode     Graphic Mode  


Licensing Department


Attention Licensing Customers - We suggest that you renew your registration online at or that you go to your local DOL office in Oak Harbor, Freeland or Camano Island to ensure timely renewal.  We urge you not to delay your vehicle or vessel renewal.


The Island County Auditor's Office is responsible for providing vehicle and vessel license services.  We also have three subagencies appointed to provide all vehicle and vessel licensing services.  These subagencies charge a fee for providing this service:  $12.00 for titles and $5.00 for license renewal.


Quick Titles - The Island County Auditor's Office will issue Quick Titles, 9:00 to Noon, Monday through Thursday.  If these hours are not workable, Quick Titles can also be done at Snohomish County.  There is an additional $50.00 added to the normal titling fees collected.


Auditor's Office (360-679-7368)
1 NE 7th Street, Room 105, Coupeville
Monday through Friday; 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (open during lunch)


Subagent locations/hours:

  • Oak Harbor Motors (360-675-8000)
    75 SE Pioneer Way, Oak Harbor
    Monday through Friday; 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (open during lunch)
  • Island Insurance Associates (360-331-1626)
    1504 State Highway 525, Freeland
    Tuesday through Friday; 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (open during lunch)
    Saturday; 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
  • Camano Island Licensing (360-387-4700)
    811 N. Sunrise Blvd, Camano Island (located within Camano Properties)
    Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (closed for lunch 12:30-1:00)
    Saturday; 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.


Renewing vehicle tabs and changing your address over the Internet is:

  • Convenient
  • Easy
  • Secure


Visit the Department of Licensing at


Sellers report of sale:  Seller reports of sale may be brought into any licensing agent and processed for a $3.75 fee.  The vehicle record will be coded with a report of sale flag immediately.  Vehicle reports of sale may still be mailed to Olympia at no fee, but the record will not be flagged as sold for approx. one to two weeks.  Vehicle reports of sale may also be processed online at 


State Patrol Vehicle Inspections​ ​
(360-658-2588 ext. 13/137)​ ​ ​ ​
​Mondays ​10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesdays (1st/3rd only)​ ​10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
​Wednesdays ​10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Fridays​ ​10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


​Tuesdays (2nd/4th only) ​7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Bellingham​ ​Thursdays ​8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.


Frequently Asked Questions:


What documents are required to transfer a Washington title due to purchase or gift?

If you have  purchased a Washington titled vehicle or received on as a gift, you are required to transfer the title within 15 days.  After 15 days, a monetary penalty will be assessed.  You need to take the following documents to your local license agency:  the current title with the signatures of the previous owners releasing interest; a bill of sale stating the full purchase price or statement of a gift signed by the previous owner, and a completed odometer disclosure statement if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.  If this is a gift, you will also need to provide proof of sales tax paid by the previous owner.

The cost to transfer a title is $15.50 plus 9.0% use tax, if applicable.  Use tax is not charged on gift transactions is sale/use tax has already been paid by donor.  License subagents (see above) charge an extra fee of $12.00 to provide licensing services to your community.

What documents are required to license a vehicle in Washington from out of state?

If you are a new resident to Washington or have purchased a vehicle from another state, you must present the following documents to a license agency in order to obtain Washington plates, registration and title:  the out of state title in your name or properly release by the previous owner (if you are still making payments on the vehicle and a legal owner is holding the title, you will need a photocopy or faxed copy of your title), a bill of sale stating the full purchase price signed by the previous owner if the title is not in your name and a completed odometer statement if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.


Other questions may be answered by linking to the Department of Licensing webpage at or by calling our office at 360-679-7368.

Right Top Content
Right Navigation
Right Middle Content
Right Image
Right Bottom Content
Footer Content