Filing for Office
2018 Candidate filing period is May 14 - 18, 2018
Click on Offices Open for Election, in the left bar, to see which offices are open for filing and if there is a filing fee.
Precinct Committee Offices (PCO) are not listed under "Offices Open for Filing". Positions for ALL precincts for both parties (R & D) are open for filing. There is NO filing fee. Dates, times and how to file listed below apply to filing for PCO.
- Only PCO races with two or more candidates in the same party appear on, and are elected at, the Primary Election.
- If a single candidate files for a PCO position in a precinct, the candidate is considered elected. The position does not appear on the ballot.
- If no candidates file for a PCO position in a precinct, the party fills the position by appointment.
- PCO vacancies do not trigger a special three-day filing period.
Be prepared to:
1. Pay filing fee, if applicable.
a. With Visa or MasterCard if you file online.
b. With cash, check or money order if you file in-person.
c. With check or money order if you file by mail.
2. Provide an email address (optional).
3. Use a campaign mailing address, phone number, and website address
when you file. If you don't, your voter registration address will be
published online in the list of candidates who have filed.
How to file:
Online: Available Monday, May 14, 9:00 a.m. through Friday, May 18, 4:00 p.m.
The link is not available until 9:00 a.m. the first day of filing, May 14, 2018.
In Person: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. during filing week in the Auditor's office, 1820 Jefferson St., Port Townsend WA
By mail: The first day we can accept a declaration of candidacy by mail is April 30. The last day we can accept it is by 4:30 p.m. Friday, May 18. The Declaration of Candidacy, and filing fee, if applicable, must be in our office by 4:30 p.m. Friday, May 18th.
Jefferson County Elections, PO Box 563, Port Townsend WA 98368
Fax or Email: Beginning May 14, 8:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. May 18 FAX: (360) 385-9228 / email: email@example.com. If a filing fee is required, the Declaration of Candidacy will not be processed until the fee has been received. The fee must be received by 4:30 p.m. Friday, May 18.
Filing fees, if applicable, are due at the time of filing.
The Declaration of Candidacy cannot be processed until the fee has been paid.
Where do I file?
County Elections Office For:
- Legislative offices within one county
- Court of appeals positions within one county
- Superior court positions within one county
- All other offices
Office of the Secretary of State For:
- Federal offices
- Statewide offices
- Legislative encompassing more than one county
- Judicial districts encompassing more than one county
Salaries, Filing Fees, and Terms for Elective Offices
State law provides that candidates pay a filing fee at the time they file for office. The fee is equal to one percent (1%) of the annual salary for the office sought. For example, if the office sought has an annual salary of $20,000, the filing fee would be two hundred dollars ($200). The filing fee is calculated according to the salary of the office at the time of filing.