Lewis County Elections Department
PO Box 29
Chehalis, WA 98532-0029
Online Voter Registration
In general, you must register or change your address, at least 29 days in advance of an election to be eligible to vote in that election. If you register by mail, your application must be postmarked by the 29-day cutoff or it will not become effective until after the election.
If you are not already registered to vote in Washington and you miss the 29 day deadline, you can register in person at your county elections department 8 days before the election. Contact your county auditor for assistance and information.
Click here to view the 2011 Voter Registration Deadlines
You must complete a voter registration form if you are registering for the first time in Washington or if you have moved to a new county. If you have moved within the same county, you may transfer your registration by completing a new form or contacting your county auditor by mail, email, or phone. You do not have to register by political party in order to register to vote.
To register to vote in the state of Washington, you must be:
- A citizen of the United States
- A legal resident of Washington State
- At least 18 years old by election day
If you meet the above criteria you can register by completing and mailing in a voter registration form.
You may not register to vote if you are:
- Presently denied your civil rights due to a felony conviction.
- Judicially declared mentally incompetent and ineligible to vote.
For more information about Voter Registration Rights and Responsibilities.
ID Necessary to Register
If you register by mail or in person at the Auditorï¿½s and do not have a Washington State driver's license, Washington State ID card, or a Social Security number, you will be required to provide one of the following items;
- Valid photo ID
- Valid tribal ID of a federally recognized Indian tribe in Washington State
- Copy of a current utility bill
- Current bank statement
- Copy of a current government check
- Copy of a current paycheck
- A government document that shows both your name and address
Call 360-740-1278 to find the voter registration location nearest you or you can fill out an on-line form here: Voter Registration Formsor pick up forms at the following locations:
- Library Branches
- School District Offices
- City & Town Halls
- Post Offices
- Department of Social & Health Services
- Employment Security Department
- Motor Voter - register to vote when you apply for your driver's license
To Change Your Registration To A New Address Within Lewis County:
- Send a signed letter to the Elections Department, PO Box 29, Chehalis, WA 98532, giving your name, old address, and new address, or
- Complete and send a voter registration form, which contains instructions on how to change your address, or
- Telephone the Elections Department and give them the information about your change of address over the phone.
Address changes must be made at least 29 days before the next election.
To Register Under A New Name:
- Complete and send a mail registration form which contains instructions for changing your name, Click here for Voter Registration Forms or;
- Go to the Elections Department and complete a new voter registration form for name change.
Name changes must be made at least 29 days before the next election.
What You Should Know About Voting In Lewis County:
Elections are ALWAYS held on Tuesdays.
Special elections may be held in the months of February, April, or May.
Each August, a Primary election is held. (Not always countywide.)
Each November, a General election is held.
Lewis County votes entirely by mail ballot. After registration, you will automatically be sent a ballot for every election in which you are entitled to vote.
Your ballot will be sent to the last address we have on file, so if you move, please contact this office as soon as possible so we may keep your address current and your ballot will not be delayed.