Voters with Disabilities
Top Navigation 1
  Text Mode     Graphic Mode  
Left Navigation
San Juan County Auditor > English > Voter Information > Voters with Disabilities
  Text Mode     Graphic Mode  

Voters with Disabilities

As a voter with a disability, you can request a reasonable accommodation or assistance to vote. The Office of the Secretary of State is committed to ensuring accessibility at voting centers, and that you have the opportunity to vote privately and independently.

Voting centers must meet all of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. View the ADA checklist for voting centers for more information.

To request a reasonable accommodation or assistance, contact your county elections department.

Voters’ Pamphlet
Accessible formats of the state Voters' Pamphlet are available online at  Audio CDs or large print versions are also available upon subscription. To subscribe, call the voter hotline at (800) 448-4881 or email Provide your preferred format, name, telephone number, and mailing address.

Accessible voting units
Accessible voting units (AVUs) are available starting 18 days before Election Day, until 8 p.m. on Election Day. For specific dates that AVU voting is available at your county elections department, see voter Dates and Deadlines. Every county must have at least one AVU at each voting center. AVUs must be wheelchair-accessible and screened from other voters to maintain privacy.

An AVU presents your ballot on a monitor. You select choices by touching the screen, using a select wheel, or by using a tool. You can use headphones to listen to the text and prompts on your ballot. Most machines can also be fitted with sip-and-puff tools.

Assistance voting your ballot
Anyone may assist you in voting your ballot, except your employer or union representative. At a voting center, you may ask for two election workers – one from each political party – to help you fill out your ballot.

A person who has a guardian may still be able to vote and should not be turned away from a voting center by an election worker. Guardianship papers indicate if an individual has the right to vote. If there is ever doubt about a person’s voting status, the person should be issued a provisional ballot to vote with. MORE>>

Accessibility concerns
If you are concerned about the accessibility of a voting center, contact your county elections department or contact the Office of the Secretary of State's Elections Division at (800) 448-4881.

Additional information for voters with disabilities

Accessibility services and information
Resources for voters with visual disabilities
Mental competency and voting rights

Accessibility in your county
ADA checklist for voting centers
Accessible Voting Units (AVUs) by county
County Elections Departments Disability Advisory Committees

Other accessibility resources
Other resources for voters with disabilities 
Accessibility on the Washington Secretary of State web sites



Right Top Content
Right Navigation
Right Middle Content
Right Image
Right Bottom Content
Footer Content